Erosion bundle project - buried bundle
Project started - 1st January 2010
Opening of bundle - 15th April 2010
Finished project - 1st August 2010
This bundle was completely buried, but gradually worked it's way to the surface over time and was very slightly sticking out of the earth. I was expecting the most insect life from this bundle but it was not as bad as I thought it would be with just a few wood lice and a yellow slug thing ugh!
The bundle was wrapped in calico which took some of the dyes ... orange, yellow, brown, pink with patterns from black mould spots. I've washed the calico and the colours have stayed
Inside, the bundle was wet through and very soggy. The papers had massed together and it was very difficult to separate the layers. I managed to carefully ease a couple of layers apart with a knife and then had to allow them to dry off before I could do any more. Deep inside, I noticed minutest white insects (albino) which scuttled off to find dark corners when disturbed - no pictures of them yuk!
I am pleased I managed to salvage this piece. I'd placed a branch of dried berries between layers of painted papers which, when removed, left great umbel shaped indentations and black colouring whch looks good against the red
The berries themselves were soggy and mouldy and had to be discarded, but the papers are wonderful!
Detail of indentation on the textured papers
The buried parcel experienced the most disintegration. I added less fabric to this bundle and the remaining papers and tin foils were fragile and broke off too easily. I was left with only a few pieces to work with
I'm planning to make an art journal of my experiments in the Erosion Bundle Project and, time permitting, possibly a three dimensional piece. This element of it will be inspired by the black umbel shapes and I'm planning to develop this theme a little further. The final project needs to be completed by 1st August 2010 for a show and tell